The roots of Rastafari culture can be found along the coastline of Ghana. Well, not the actual roots because Rasta apparently started in Israel where Jah stemmed from the "roots of David," but the way of life is greatly practiced here. I have been going to a lot of reggae nights where rhastas are the overwhelming majority. They tell me I have rhasta in me...haha. I respond that they knew I once had dreads. The whole essence of dreads makes me miss mine uncontrollably. At first I felt free and liberated as I cut them off, but as soon as I saw a whole culture of dread heads I felt like I should be one with them, but couldn't. Although, I my friend Emmanual told me (& I quote) "When I cut my skin and you cut your skin, we both share blood because we are one." Oh goodness, what goes through their heads sometimes makes me laugh, but they truly believe in it! Anyways, I love the freedom and creativity the Rhastas bring to the table. They share their religion (which is largely Christian) and their nomadic ways of life with me. Not to mention they have beautiful craftsmanship (but they largely stick to the colors: red, yellow, green and black).
8.9.10
Everything is Everything
The roots of Rastafari culture can be found along the coastline of Ghana. Well, not the actual roots because Rasta apparently started in Israel where Jah stemmed from the "roots of David," but the way of life is greatly practiced here. I have been going to a lot of reggae nights where rhastas are the overwhelming majority. They tell me I have rhasta in me...haha. I respond that they knew I once had dreads. The whole essence of dreads makes me miss mine uncontrollably. At first I felt free and liberated as I cut them off, but as soon as I saw a whole culture of dread heads I felt like I should be one with them, but couldn't. Although, I my friend Emmanual told me (& I quote) "When I cut my skin and you cut your skin, we both share blood because we are one." Oh goodness, what goes through their heads sometimes makes me laugh, but they truly believe in it! Anyways, I love the freedom and creativity the Rhastas bring to the table. They share their religion (which is largely Christian) and their nomadic ways of life with me. Not to mention they have beautiful craftsmanship (but they largely stick to the colors: red, yellow, green and black).