Greetings from Ghana! Yes, Ghana, as in West Africa. One of the leading independent countries on the continent. Home of the talking drums, kente cloth, Golden Coast and Asanti Kingdom (and much much more). A beautiful place indeed.
While I have yet to explore the whole country (which is the size of the state Oregon...) I have been preoccupied with orientation. Unlike other international students, the UC Education Abroad Program (consisting of 39 girls and 9 boys) was given a set schedule of lectures, tours, trips and workshops to better gain an understanding of Ghanaian culture. So for the past week, which has felt like months, I have been learning about African music through dancing and drumming my ass off (or at least trying to - for some reason my body just doesn't pop and drop as well as theirs...). I've been introduced to language and communication (more specifically Twi, which most people speak in the Central and Western regions. I found if you greet sellers in the market with this language they are far easier to bargain with). And I have learned about the country's land use, governance and society. As if I haven't learned enough, I just registered for 5 months of classes and cultural endeavors as I explore Ghana and surrounding countries.
The orientation trip to Kumasi was the biggest wake-up call screaming, "HEY RACHAEL YOU ARE IN AFRICA!" When the bus left the city Accra (which is striving to be a developed Western metropolitan area - with some quirks) I immediately fell asleep. Once I awoke I was surrounded by a tropical forest. Lining the roadside were villages with homes made of clay, bamboo, palm leaves and other resources. I was in awe over the simplicities of these rural lifestyles and how these people could create so much with so very little. Apparently, 54% of Ghanaians work in Agriculture (which they claim is the biggest reason why their country is so underdeveloped). This percentage constitutes majority of the rural populations and a large part of those living below poverty level. Seeing and hearing this intrigued me. So as we continued our drive Northeast I began asking questions and contemplating ways to develop an independent project or thesis on the cultural techniques developed/used in farming. Funny, I travel half way across the world just to find myself wrapped up in the problems of another food system. Hmm... perhaps I'm starting to discover what I am truly passionate about.
Anyways, my mind is still constantly thinking and processing new information and ideas day in and night out. There's just so much going on. Between dealing with the annoyances of traveling with 50 white foreigners to trying to find my place as a female in this patriarchial system, I've developed patience. Considering Ghanaian time means 30 minutes to one hour late and people walk in a deliberately slow fashion, patience is definitely a virtue.
As of right now I am patiently waiting to find out who I will be rooming with for the semester. Due to the fact that I couldn't stand most of the girls from the UC program and those I did like already had roommates, I've decided to risk the unknown and live with another foreign exchange student (or possibly a Ghanaian). Nervous, anxious, scared, yet excited, I've gotten used to being independent from the group. So far I've made friends with people from the states, Norway, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Nigeria and of course, Ghana. This sense of independence and excitement to meet new people has definitely sparked anticipation for future travels. I just need to remember how to balance the alone time with the thrill of seeking global friends. Thank you or as they'd say in Twi "Medase" to those who have supported me in taking this step onto a foreign land (which is hopefully a stepping stone for the adventures to come).